Saturday, September 25, 2010

Life just keeps getting better and better

It seems we have a weekly power outage and that is when I update. Tonight we are performing at a nearby restaurant, get paid!!!, and get free food and drinks. Though it will be interesting if there is no power…

I am truly in a routine and most definitely feel like I live here. Teaching is going very well and going to the schools is again my favorite. The kids are so fascinated and today I even introduced what a harmony was and how to breathe when we sing. I can’t remember if I talked about UE so if I didn’t I will in my next post. It would be silly to write about it if I have. There are some REALLY cute puppies there though, but super sad. There are only 2; there were originally 9, but the other 7 have died :(.
I also got an infected knee since I’ve last updated, but thanks to antibiotics, I’m finally getting better. Last wknd I went to the Polo club. Talk about a contrast. Of course it was nice, but I don’t think I’ve ever felt guiltier, basking in luxury while I am passing people working, balancing things on their heads, and children being thoroughly amused with a mere, deflated soccer ball.
Sweetest thing-I go to a gym and the owner there is basically giving me free personal training. AWESOME! I’m finally reading again working out too! J I highly recommend The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner to anyone. You will learn a lot and possibly learn a new country; I never knew Moldova existed! Lots of interesting points about what makes a human happy. Which is why I don’t worry about the future more than I subconsciously can’t help and just try to live in the present. My Swahili teacher gave me a tour of our complex. Little did I know we have tortoises, the place used to be a zoo in some capacity with parrots, ostriches, etc. AND the best part of all, right behind our house is a beautiful river with lush banana trees and honestly a tropics feel and a HUGE veggie garden. It’s not ours, but it still makes me feel at home. And orange, banana, cashew, and MANGO trees. So while I would NEVER go there in the dark, during the day, I have a new place to sunbathe, read, or just get away from the city life-right in my own backyard.
Oh and I taught, not 1, not 2, but 3 piano lessons last Sat. in complete BROKEN Swahili! I’m starting to feel competent but definitely still have a long way to go! I rode in my first dala-dala last wknd but it really wasn’t eventful. It was just like a van ride. And I made my first TZ  female friend outside of work who is a mutual friend with someone from Luther. Really nice and only lives at max. 2 miles away (probably less!).
I’m still trying to figure out exactly what to do for the Oct. break we have in 2 weeks! One week is for sure Cairo and the other….TBD. Probably a combination of the coastal beaches with some type of hiking and DEFINITELY camping. I just can’t get it out of my system!
Okay update after the gig. I guess it went well because not only did we ask to come back since it was so different than the normal guitar/voice combo, BUT we got offered a gig for NYE in Ngorogoro with FREE ACCOMODATION, MEALS, TRANSPORTATION, A REALLY GOOD SALARY, AND A FREE SAFARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And for Oct. break I’m 90% sure I’m going to do just what I described above-mountains, beach, and Bagamoyo all camping. Found some travel buddies tonight so that’s great too! God, this place just keeps getting better!

No comments:

Post a Comment